Tuesday, January 22, 2013

That's MY little boy


Grandparents bring such a richness into the childhood.

I remember many many things my Granny taught me.  The stories she told me of her childhood, at how different her time was but how much the same she was in other ways.

Last week Rick's parents came to stay with us.  They live 13 hours' drive north (but they flew) so we don't get to see them much apart from magic Skype!  And despite them having 15 grandchildren aged 30+ down to Dean at 3 and greatgrandchildren a plenty, they have an ever growing, endless supply of love and affection for each of them.  My boys adore their Nan & Pop.

My MIL is a treasure and I love her deeply.  She has taken me in as her own and fills me with pride when she compliments my parenting or the love I have for her son.  I want to make her and Dad proud.  And to top it off, she loves my cooking.  She is a great culinary magician and yet, she kept asking me for the recipes of my smoothies, pasta and cakes.  We are kindred spirits for sure.

In the picture above, she sat down at the boys' little table to play with them, early one morning.  She may have a funny spanish/yorkshire/aussie accent but that doesn't stop the boys from being mesmerised when she speaks.  Here she is showing Dean the photos in her locket.  He looked intently as Nanny told him that she has photos of her 5 children in there and that one of them was their Daddy.

"That's my little boy there- your Daddy" she would say.

My boys didn't quite get the concept.  They agreed that the other children were their aunties and uncles but the little boy that was their Daddy was in fact one of them.  And then it was a little too much and off they pottered with another thought that 'flew into their funnels'.

This week I sorely miss my Mam & Dad, (Nan & Pop).  It is hard to be so far away from family.

xxx


7 comments:

  1. Sweetest post. Brought me some tears! I just absolutely love and adore my MIL too. I also have wonderful memories of the things both my grandmothers' taught me. So much of me is from them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. So nice too that you have such a lovely relationship with your inlaws. A precious moment captured that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a treasure your MIL is, so great that your children could spend such nourishing and beautiful times with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandparents are really true treasures...glad you could spend some time with family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona, I hope all is well with you and that 2014 is being kind to you all. This is a beautiful post. Thinking of you. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fiona, I hope all is well with you and that 2014 is being kind to you all. This is a beautiful post. Thinking of you. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Natural Remedies for Bronchiectasis made from one hundred percent natural herbs so it never bases any kind of chronic bronchiectasis, lethargy, and fatigue. Changes in your airway cannot be reversed, but there are ways you and your healthcare team can treat and manage with natural remedies for Bronchiectasis.

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for popping by! I read all your comments and really try and get to your blog too. Despite my good intentions, I don't always reply to each message but I am very grateful for the time you take in sharing your thoughts with me. Word verification is back up because I am getting spammed big time. So thanks for taking that extra step in commenting. Blessings, Fi xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...