Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One of my favourites: Rigatoni with Pumpkin and Ginger Tofu

Thanks Shelley for taking the photo!
We eat tofu about 3 times a week in our household.  This one has recently reimerged and has gone straight to favourite status with me!  My man loves this tofu marinade and the kids are mad on the pasta.  And as you can see, it is part of my blog's header!!

The recipe comes from the book, Deliciously Healthy Cookbook by Heart Foundation.


You can find Rigatoni with Pumpkin and Ginger Tofu here.  As you can see, I used what pasta I had in the  pantry (Angel Hair - a family staple) and as I am out of pine nuts I used sunflower seeds (untoasted).

Hope you like it as much as us.

xx

EDIT: It appears that the recipe link above has been removed so here is the recipe (which is perhaps what I should have done in the first place!):

Ingredients:
300g firm tofu
1 Tbl fresh ginger grated
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbl soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbl oil (I use olive but recipe calls for soybean oil)
1 leek, thinly sliced
500g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 cinnamon stick
250ml vegetable stock
fresh coriander
500g rigatoni
2 Tbl pine nuts

Method:
Cut up the tofu into thick slices.  I like the triangular shape the recipe book shows, as you can see in my picture.  In a jub or bowl, whisk the ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and brown suger then pour over the tofu.  This marinade doesn't need long so a simple ten minute wait is fine.  I have left it over night but it does become too strong in flavour when it soaks all the way through the tofu, plus the tofu becomes a little brittle.

Heat oil in saucepan and gently saute leek until soft.  Add the pumpkin and cinnamon and cook until pumpkin is tender

Add stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until pumpkin is really soft.  Remove the cinnamon stick then blitz in blender or use a stick blender..

Cook pasta to packet instructions.  That's the beauty of angel hair pasta, by the way, it cooks very quickly so hungry mouths don't have to wait too long.

In a frying pan, gently fry the tofu on both sides.  Stir the pumpkin sauce through the pasta and top with the tofu and coriander leaves.  Scatter with toasted or raw pine nuts (or sunflower seeds).

1 comment:

  1. Just by your pic you have tempted me to give this a try...may have to have chicken on the side to please the meat eaters in the house :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for popping by! I read all your comments and really try and get to your blog too. Despite my good intentions, I don't always reply to each message but I am very grateful for the time you take in sharing your thoughts with me. Word verification is back up because I am getting spammed big time. So thanks for taking that extra step in commenting. Blessings, Fi xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...