Last Thursday's gathering was relaxed and fun. Our friends, Beth & Shelley attend uni in Newcastle, living away from home, so we just love having them over for a feast (usually only two courses- they are petite girls afterall!!). I love when they come for a number of reasons but mainly because they love my children - perhaps I should say that Shelley LOVES & ADORES Liam. Both girls come in and go straight the playing with the kids while Rick and I continue getting things ready. Just perfect guests!!
In honour of Shelley's birthday, I made Lemon & Raspberry Cupcakes and Chocolate Mud Cupcakes. I linked the recipe for the Lemon & Raspberry Cupcakes previously that I had first seen on Martha. I didn't end up using the recipe but used it as a guide in creating my own version.
If you like the look of them here are the recipes:
Brave New Fiona's Lemon & Raspberry Cupcakes (as inspired by Martha)
1. Using a sharp knife or apple corer, make a small circle incision in the top of the Vanilla Cupcake (see recipe below) going one third down, remove cut cake so you are left with a small well.
2. Fill each well with the prepared Lemon Curd by spoon or piping bag (I just used a spoon and a steady hand).
3. Pipe or spread Vanilla Butter Frosting over top of cupcake, being careful not to disturb the lemon curd.
4. Top with a fresh rasberry. You can use a frozen raspberry but be sure to thaw them out on paper towel.
Brave New Fiona's Vanilla Cupcakes
1/2 cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste (I prefer paste for the little spots- cheaper than beans)
1. Preheat oven 180C. Line muffin tin with patty cases (I'm loving the choc-brown patty cases!)
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, milk & vanilla. Sift in dry ingredients and beat until colour has changed and is even.
3. Fill patty cases just over half full with mixture and bake for 15-18 mins.
You can freeze uniced cupcakes.
Brave New Fiona's Lemon Curd
1 1/2 cups sugar
200g diced butter
finely zested rind of 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups strained lemon juice (~6 large lemons)
6 large eggs
1. In a double boiler add sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice. Stir until butter is melted.
2. Meanwhile, mix together eggs and whisk into the double boiler mixture when the butter is melted. Don't allow the mixture to boil and stir constantly for approximately 5 mins.
3. Strain before bottling into sterilized jars.
This amount is way too much for the cupcakes but you can use as a gift or fold through whipped cream for a lemony pavlova topping. Or make some yummy mini lemon tarts!
Brave New Fiona's Butter Frosting
125g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
Beat butter until fluffy. Slowly add icing sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
I got the Chocolate Mud Cupcakes with Ganache from Notebook's Little Book of Cupcakes and Cookies. Although Notebook: is no longer in publication, their recipes are found on http://www.homelife.com.au/.
With some of the left over lemon curd, I made mini lemon meringue tarts.
And the evening was topped off with two rounds of Canasta and a late night discussion on pregnancy and giving birth (Rick went to bed by this stage!!)